Gameinformer apparently has the goods on the Taken King. They’ve gotten the scoop on everything that is happening with the coming expansion. I suppose that I could share some of that based on the articles that I’ve managed to read and the information that I’ve managed to pick up from other posts here and there. You can the most recent interview here.
First things first. There are a lot of changes coming to Destiny is just about a month. They’re are revamping the loot system (RNG, you’re evil and I sometimes despise you). Our Ghost will have an all new voice (including new dialogue which is a departure from the last two DLC’s). There will be a bevy of new weapons and armor including new exotics. I think I actually covered some of this in a previous post. I think it’s… here. New subclasses for each class. Higher level 40. New leveling system. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
There are apparently a few more twists and things.
- Subclass quests. You get to unlock your new subclass by questing for it. Awesome.
- Cohesive feeling story telling? Yes, please.
- Cayde (Nathan Fillion) has a personality? More of this, please.
- The Dreadnaught is big. I hope so. No sparrow? That’s fine. Bones of Eao for exploration!
- Light values on Armor AND Weapons? “Every mission, strike, and raid now has a recommended light total as a guidepost for when you’re ready for it.”
- New Ghost shells. With perks! It’s about time.
- New slot: Equippable Emotes.
- I pledge allegiance to the… faction of my choice. No more wearing class items to gain reputation for certain factions.
- A kiosk will hold all of your emblems and shaders that you’ve unlocked. If you don’t have one, it’ll tell you how to get it.
- Banshee (the Gunsmith) will have reputation and quests. You can eventually order legendary weapons from him once per week for glimmer.
- Vanguard and Crucible marks will be Legendary Marks.
- Armor Materials will replace hadronic essence, plasteel plating, and sapphire wire. It sounds like you can trade your existing materials in at the Vanguard Quartermaster.
- Xur may have something called the “Three of Coins.” It can increase your chances of getting an exotic from killing a boss. Interesting.
- Random encounters in the new strikes? Must see to believe. Intrigued.
- Working on fixing the issues of players AFK’s through strikes? Yes.
- New strike mechanics. “Raid-light.” Intrigued, again.
- Strike playlists broken down into Light levels. I’ll just quote it here. “The Vanguard legacy strike playlist is basically a list of all the strikes from vanilla Destiny and the last two rounds of DLC. Vanguard Ursa is a list of random heroic strikes that will award players with legendary marks and legendary engrams. And finally, Vanguard Marmoset (if you feel like monkeying around, I guess) is a list of strikes pulled specifically from The Taken King. This seems like a simpler matchmaking system for strikes and should give players a better way to dive into the content they want to play. Apparently, appropriate matchmaking now occurs behind the scenes.”
- New Crucible maps.
- New Crucible modes. Zone Control, Mayhem, Rift.
- New Crucible quests and bounties, including weekly bounties. “There are dedicated bounties for your class each day, fireteam bounties to complete with your friends, featured playlist bounties, Trials of Osiris bounties, and even weekly bounties that come with big rewards. “
- The new raid, King’s Fall, is “objectively and emphatically our biggest raid yet. ” We shall see.