A little story from awhile back…

If you’re on Facebook then you’ve noticed that I’ve shared a good number of posts from both the county pound and the Humane Society. There is a very good reason for that. You can find a great companion at either place and they won’t even cost you much money!

I adopted Jake almost five years ago now. He’s been my best friend ever since. That sometimes tears my son up a little because Jake won’t sleep with him in his bed at night. He tried last night in fact. Enticed Jake up onto his bed with treats. That was okay for a few minutes before the whining started. That whining quickly became worse before Jake braved jumping off of the bed and came into my room to sleep on the floor next to me.

Jake is a tiny bit attached to me. I didn’t mean for that to happen, but it did. He was adopted with the intention of him being a family dog, and he really is. He’s just more my dog than my son’s. One day I’ll get a second dog that will hopefully bond with my son. It’s a great idea and one that will help teach the kid some responsibility. I just need to go out and find the right one to adopt.

Anyway… my story!

I first saw a picture of Jake on a Facebook post. There is a chance that you could say that it was love at first sight. Well, maybe. You’ve seen the pictures of him so I imagine that you’ve got a pretty good idea of what I was thinking.

They called him Hunter. I can’t remember the exact description that they used, but he really seemed like the perfect dog. It took me three weeks to decide that I was going to go and adopt him. Of course, I really had no idea if he was even there anymore. That was November 14, 2013. He was there, and he was the only dog in the entire pound that was not barking. You could tell that he was excited with his prancing around, but he didn’t make a sound.

That was the first thing about him that I loved. Of course, he has since found that bark and is more than willing to use it for anything except other dogs that he sees while we’re out walking. He just whines at them. That’s not a bad thing. I feel as if we’re not bothering the neighbors that way.

I filled out all of the paperwork and then took him home. All of that was fairly uneventful. I did stop by Walmart to pick up a few things for him. Necessities and the like. Food, bowls, bed, etc. He stayed quietly in the car curled up in the passenger seat. It wasn’t hot out and I did leave my windows partially open if you’re wondering. I also wasn’t even in there that long.

I had to drag that dog into my house. He wouldn’t come inside for anything. Not even food!

Anyway, the following Saturday night I took Jake to the car wash where they have dog wash stations. We finally had time to try to get him all cleaned up. Jake felt, and looked, like a new dog! Of course I’m assuming that he felt that way. He looked like he felt that way.


It’s the middle of the night and I am updating this post while I’m feeling a little sick to my stomach. I couldn’t find the actual picture so all you get is a link, but look at him! Doesn’t he look like he feels like a new dog!?

After that picture was taken I decided to take him for a walk. He was still damp. His collar was still wet, and I suppose that I didn’t snap it on him all of the way. Once we got outside he pulled as he normally does. His collar just snapped off and Jake was off like a shot.

I chased him, which I knew that I shouldn’t do. He would run off and then look back to see that I was still following him. I was. He would grin, wag his tail,and then take off again when I got close to him. This went on through my neighborhood; through peoples’ back yards. Jake would run off and there I was in gym shorts and a T-shirt running after him on a November night.

I finally gave up on him after chasing him for maybe half of a mile (I’m guesstimating here). My thoughts were that we had only had him for two days. Jake was practically still a stray, and I was never going to see this dog again.

I was both mad and sad; mad that I had bought all of this stuff for Jake and he was just going to run off. I was sad because I liked him, and he had just run off. Heading home at that point was really the only option that I had.

All of those thoughts were crashing around in my mind as I walked home. It was going to be hard to explain to my son that our dog had just run away. Brendan rather liked him.

Well, as you know, Jake is still around. Would you believe that he was sitting in my front yard with a shit-eating grin and a furiously wagging tail when I got home? He ran up to me once I was close and let put his collar and leash back around his neck. Jake knew where home was after only two days. To say that I was surprised is an understatement I think. I figured that Jake would have been long gone. I knew then and there that he was my dog without a doubt. He was a part of the family.

I started this post several months ago and just realized that I never finished it. It’s funny the things that you do when you wake up in the middle of the night to your dog’s whining because he’s been sleeping on your son’s bed and wants to be back in your room but is too chicken to jump off of said bed.

I think I feel okay enough to go back to sleep now. Good night!

Have something to say? Share with the class!